We share what photo editing app we think you should be using for Instagram, and a step-by-step guide on how to navigate.
In a sea of photo-editing apps, it can be hard to figure out which option is the best fit for your Instagram style. Instagram is the most visual social media platform that allows you to be the sole creator of your individual platform. Sure, there’s Pinterest and foodgawker, but Instagram is all you. Your account is a river of your own creations, which comes with a lot of room for irregularity.
Sorry (not sorry) if you’re tired of hearing this, but consistency is key on Instagram. Consistency is key for branding in general. But we’re talking first impressions here – it’s important to have a consistent style on your Instagram account for many reasons, but a major one being so that newcomers can gather a positive first impression of your offerings and understand you.
And a lot of this has to do with the physical appearance of your photos. Beyond the lighting, angles, and subjects, it’s very important to make sure you’re using the same filter or edit settings for every single photo.
If I land on somebody’s Instagram and see one photo with an insane amount of contrast, the next photo with high exposure and little contrast, and the next one with a sepia filter, it is human nature for me to think this account looks messy. Simple is best, consistency is key. Have I mentioned that yet?
And with all of the different editing options out there, most of them leave a lot of room for control, most of the time resulting in you changing the settings each time for each photo. Because every photo may be different, and it may look good when you’re in the middle of editing it, but once you post it and it’s now published alongside the rest of your photos, your photo manipulation for one particular photo might not sync with the rest of your published photos.
What I’m trying to say is, an app that provides you with pre-created filters is the best way to go. This is the best way to ensure that your photo filters are the same each and every time.
And no, I’m not talking Instagram filters. We don’t recommend using those… they’ve definitely improved update after update (if any of who have been with Instagram since the start, you know what they used to look like. Yikes!), but are still too harsh and loud.
I’m talking about our most favoritest photo editing app – VSCO Cam.
VSCO Cam is a photo editing application that offers a variety of vintage-toned filters that make even the most lifeless photos, interesting. It’s the most widely-used application of Instagrammers, and easily allows for a consistent style for your feed.
Here’s how we use it.
- Download the app from the App Store. It’s free!
- Tap on the “+” button to upload a photo.
- Choose whichever photo you want to edit.
- Tap on the photo of your choosing, and tap on the check mark to upload it.
- Tap on the editing option. Make sure your photo is selected (tap on it).
- Go through each filter and decide which one you like best! Georgie and I like to use A8 or A9. You can purchase these in the “SHOP”.
- Once you’ve chosen a filter, click on the upward arrow and choose the wrench.
- This section will allow you to further edit the photo with your own manipulations using general photo editing options like temperature, saturation, exposure, fade, etc. We recommend not touching this area much, but it’s there for your use!
- When you’re finished, tap the upward arrow, then the check mark.
- When you’re ready to export, tap the three dots.
- Tap ‘save to camera roll’, and voila! You’re done.
What do you think?
- What’s your favorite way to edit photos?
- Have you found your Instagram style, or have you found it difficult to stick to one central style?